OvaMed® is indicated for the suppression of estrus in mares. Suppresion of estrus allows for a predictable occurrence of estrus following drug withdrawal.
- In some cases, OvaMed® helps maintain pregnancy once a mare has already been bred.
- Some mares have low natural progesterone during pregnancy, which can lead to loss of pregnancy.
- Daily use of a synthetic progesterone can help maintain pregnancy.
- In some cases, OvaMed® (altrenogest) Solution 0.22% produces a progestational effect in mares, interrupting the cycle of hormonal activity and preventing estrus.
Attainment of regular cycle during the transition from winter anestrus to the physiological breeding season
Management of prolonged estrus conditions
Scheduled breeding during the physiological breeding season
- Mares return to estrus in 4 to 5 days following treatment
- Facilitates scheduled breeding
- Suppression of the prolonged estrus behavior
OvaMed® is contraindicated for the use in mares with a previous or current history of uterine inflammation.
Always follow proper use and safe handling of OvaMed®.
Avoid skin contact and always wear protective gloves when administering.
Pregnant women, or women who suspect they are pregnant should not handle OvaMed®.
OvaMed® is a registered trademark of Laboratoire Biosem SAS.
Fair balance statement for OvaMed®:
CAUTION: Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
WARNING: For oral use in horses only. Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children. Do not use in horses intended for human consumption.
HUMAN WARNINGS: Skin contact must be avoided as OvaMed® (altrenogest) Solution 0.22% is readily absorbed through unbroken skin. Protective gloves must be worn by all persons handling this product. Pregnant women or women who suspect they are pregnant should not handle OvaMed® (altrenogest) Solution 0.22%. Women of childbearing age should exercise extreme caution when handling this product. Accidental absorption could lead to a disruption of the menstrual cycle or prolongation of pregnancy. Direct contact with the skin should therefore be avoided. Accidental spillage on the skin should be washed off immediately with soap and water.