Bimeda is proud to be one of this year's sponsors for the 13th Annual Christmas Ca$h Barrel Race.
December 1-3, 2017
Amarillo National Center
3301 SE 10th Ave.
This year’s race will be webcasted!
While not as harmful as other parasites, pinworms can definitely be an irritation for both horse and owner.
Bimeda Equine is proud to promote best practice targeted deworming regimes, to help protect both today’s horses and future generations
Clinical Signs - Gait
- Characteristic change in gait
- Lameness aggravated when walking on hard ground or trotting in circles
Consult with your veterinarian if you suspect your horse may have Navicular syndrome as the clinical signs can vary.
Healthy Bone Remodeling
Healthy bone remodeling happens in response to normal mechanical stress. Ideally, the cycle of bone remodeling is balanced. Resorption and formation work together to maintain healthy bones.
Bone remodeling in navicular syndrome happens in response to excessive mechanical stress. Resorption outpaces formation, leading to bone lesions.
(roll over the image to see the effect of Navicular Syndrome)
- Osteoclasts, which are responsible for bone lysis, attach to the bone matrix
- H+ ions create an acidic microenvironment
- Lysosomal enzymes are released from the osteoclast
- The acidic environment:
- exposes the organic matrix of the bone
- activates the proteolytic enzymes
- Proteolytic enzymes destroy the organic matrix
- Osteoblasts, which are responsible for bone formation, arrive at the resorption site
- Osteoblasts fill the cavity with new bone tissue
- Osteoblasts produce factors that aid in the mineralization of the bone tissue
Joint Health and Degeneration
A healthy joint environment has a balance between destruction and repair (damage & growth).
Osteoarthritis is a vicious cycle, starting with excess stress on the joint that tips the balance within and leads to increasing levels of inflammation, damage, and pain.
Pathogenic Factors in Osteoarthritis
- Collagen network fracture
- Unraveling of proteoglycan
- Proteolytic enzymes increased
At the molecular level, osteoarthritis is an imbalance between the molecules in the joint.
Peptides that promote the synthesis cartilage.